Between the years 1829 and 1847, the buildings along Quality Row slowly began to appear, built brick by brick from convict labour. Originally named ‘Military Row’, this street and its Georgian buildings reflect the architecture and plan of the second colonial settlement of Norfolk Island, and together they are one of the finest preserved collections of properties of their era in the Southern Hemisphere. Quality Row is associated with the island’s notorious penal settlement and largely consists of residences and accommodation for officers. Their occupation of the street makes up, in most cases, less than 10% of Quality Row’s nearly 200 year history. The buildings in Kingston were utilised by the Pitcairn Island settlers after their arrival 1856 and the residences were allocated by way of a lottery.
Living Heritage Site
Today in this living heritage site, the properties that remain on Quality Row serve a variety of uses: The Golf Clubhouse, Offices, former Legislative Assembly building, a courthouse, church, museum, Research Centre, and residences for seconded Commonwealth workers. One of the newest additions to the street is the Cenotaph, built in 1929 as a monument of remembrance to Islanders that have served in wars since 1856.